Saturday, January 11, 2014

Crazy Wild day

     I did go out to the barn today, and it was just beyond too windy, was blowing the truck across the wet pavement.  I got up there, the arena wasn't that wet but I didn't trust myself to get on.  If Heidi spooked at the wind, I'd have hit the arena ground, I'm afraid I'm not good enough for her!  We had a wild day.  I hosed her legs and hooves off and let her loose with Spencer to go graze and then Sandy taps my shoulder(we could barley hear each other the wind was that bad) and asked me if that was a rider less horse running across the field.  Sure enough it was.  I can't remember the owner/rider's name but her dog, Meira and her horse Finnigan names I can remember.  Anyway, Heidi's lead rope still over my shoulder, I hadn't even put it on the fence with Spencer's rope yet.  The two of us took off fast.  Sandy being a retired nurse, just told me to catch the horse.  Heck at this point I didn't even know the horse's name!  Lead rope over my shoulder down the driveway I went!  I got to the bottom barn by the main gate, saw his reins broken and cringed, I kept saying, 'I hope you walk out well, I hope you didn't hurt yourself'.  Thankfully he let me walk up to him, clip the lead rope to the side where the rein was short, picked up the other end and walked him, with the lead and the rein as if they were the full set of unbroken reins.  He did spook once when Juan was walking with us back down to the bottom to put him back into his stall.  Juan held him, I untacked him real quick and we got him into his stall.  At least he wasn't sweaty and not blowing or breathing hard anymore.  I think the walk up and down the driveway calmed him down.  Juan waited at the bottom to let the ambulance in and Victor brought me back up to the top(thankfully I was starting to get tired!).  Then I walked out to where she had landed with Sandy, still carrying Heidi's lead rope, which I then clipped to Meira to keep her from 'helping' the paramedics.  The wind was starting to bit into me so I asked Perry where to put Meira, and 'eh said stick her in a stall for right now', he'd bring her home with her car later on.  What a wild day.  
     I do have to admit, Heidi's spoiled, everyone loves her.  She was good for being tossed and locked into a field in the wild wind and Spencer-she didn't hurt him, she ran with him though.  Then after locking Meira into the stall, I finished mixing up the alfalfa mash for Heidi, put it in the stall between Lucky and Spencer and put her into the crossties, and brushed her good and clean, including picking her feet to make sure they're alright still.  I know she's not due for a trim for a few weeks but I wanted to check for thrush.  Then let her into the stall to munch and I helped the guys bring the other horses in, I grabbed Lucky while Juan grabbed Joe, then I grabbed Cocoa and he grabbed the donkeys.  Victor was putting feed in and gave Heidi a small scoop too, she's so spoiled!  I let her back out since Marley wouldn't leave the fence without Heidi.  Marley and Misty are the only two that outsize Heidi as they're both 18 hands, but Heidi outsizes them in head size!  




     Tomorrow I'll be going back up so that I can hopefully get a ride in on my pretty baby, then I'll wait until Tuesday to see her one last time before going back to work again.  No guarantee's I'll get back before another week is up.  Knowing me I probably won't.  I want to check on Finnigan as well when I get there.  

     This morning, I wanted to add that I ran out to check Drifter and Bailey, ran my hands over their bodies and tape measured them for height.  I was actually pretty much spot on for their heights.  Bailey measured in at 13.2 hands and Drifter at 14 hands.  Bailey had a half hearted cow kick when I ran my hands down her hindquarters.  So she's either a bit sore still or she doesn't like being touched.  Drifter on the other hand didn't worry.  I didn't try to pick up her feet, but I should have.  Drifter loved me rubbing her neck and head.  She put her head into my chest and just nuzzled into me.  Makes me really wish I didn't have to get rid of her later on.  I just hugged and held onto her head and she let me.  Such a snuggler.  She will make some child a WONDERFUL pony.  Tomorrow after a wonderful day with Miss Heidi again I'll spend some time with Drifter and Bailey- maybe at least get their feet picked out.  I should have at least one hoof pick here somewhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment