Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Time to think


     I've done almost everything I can to find another job to make keeping Bailey possible.  I've resorted to listing her on CL for adoption.  As much as I'd rather not list her on there but I'd rather she have a human to call her own.  She needs to have a home and a child to love her as much as I love Heidi.  My pasture needs the work before the bottle calves get put on it.  I still haven't gotten her vetted but I just plain and simple do not have the money.  I don't have the money to continue with her at all.  Not if I plan on doing barn improvements this year.  I have to get my pasture done and ready to bring Heidi home for the summer if I can't put her on full board to be in during the worst of the summer heat.  Heidi's my #1 and she needs to be taken care of.  There's no way I'll ever have a second chance for a horse like her.  She doesn't get half the stuff she needs to get now.  Eventually I also want to get a dog and show her in agility or obedience.  
     I think I can work my way into a dog show ring a whole lot easier than I can work myself into a horse show ring.  It will certainly be less expensive to show a dog than it would be to show a horse!  The show cloths, show quality saddle, plus trailering to a show, the trainer(s) to get ready for a show.  The dog showing, I've got guidance going into that ring with Aunt Lisa, plus the dog would be less expensive to start with of coarse I still have the initial lay out to get the puppy, food, vet visit and it's crate.  Then comes the time to actually devote to her training.  Eventually I'd like to have her well enough trained to take her on trail rides with me.  
     I've started working on cutting down my rabbits, most of what I'm keeping is steels and blues with another minor in torts and Chins.  The torts if I could force myself to cut them down even farther I would.  Right now I'm aiming to keep Shelly or a Shelly x Jayger baby, Della and a buck.  The farthest I have gotten myself to now is 15 rabbits.  I think after this year I'm going to give up showing rabbits in general.  Raise a few litters each year for meat. This choice comes after much thought and deliberation because it's just not working out with my work schedule.  I've been trying to change it, but for the life of me I cannot get another job.   Della might also go too and I'll leave open a spot for a Sassy baby, to keep a Syd bloodlined baby in the barn.  My two biggest colors will be steel and blue.  Chins still have to build in slowly, I might only keep them at a trio, and the torts might even work down to a pair in the end.  
     I've spent a lot of time thinking lately about the rabbits.  Going through, over and over again seeing where I can and will cut my herd back.  I have to fix the outside meat cages so I can start putting them to use as well.  Two more does going out on Friday at work.  Thankfully.  Two more empty cages.  The more empty's I can make the better off I am.  It's late so it's shower time and then bed time.  I'll be going up to see Heidi tomorrow and go for a ride, I haven't ridden in almost a week- haven't seen her in almost a week.  The weather hasn't been good at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment