Monday, April 1, 2013

Bunny Cut time!

     Well it's come the time to start making adjustments start tweaking, culling and seeing where we want to head with the herd. I have fully decided to trim back on blacks and steels.  I've moved Anna already, she's in a good place with the Compton's to help improve their herd, and I did have her daughter here that I wanted to keep as so far it's one of the best babies that Raf has thrown.  Keisha's been on the knife's edge, which might have been why she killed that last litter of hers.  She could be telling me she's done and ready for retirement.  She will be retired here with me as she's done so much to keep everything together for me. I bred her for one last litter today to Syd.  I'm hoping by the switch in feed to PenPals,  It might help.  She got a lot perkier after the carrot this afternoon.  
     Sadly I did also breed my best tort doe as well today.  She's tormenting the crap out of the bucks near her.  So as much as I wanted to wait, I figured 95% of my does were all asking to be bred, and I did breed Keisha that I'll breed her as well this way I have a foster available if I need it.  I still have Colby and Dalton for the show in 2 weeks and a couple of other does. But I kinda got a bit annoyed with the rabbits today, a lot of them I can't even tell you who their parents were off the top of my head or when they were born or SOMETHING about them.   So I knew it was time to finally give in and decide what colors I want to work on.  Blues and Torts.  Syd, Connie, Penelope and Natalie will stay around as well as my pair of Chinchilla's but other than that now it was time to look and focus on my blues and see where to trim and where to leave to improve.  Becky and her dam didn't make the cut due to the non show-ablity of them.  Becky's dam's gotten too long in body and thus regulated for a brood doe and Becky is also a tad long in body, has a tied elbow and a color spot on the back of her neck.  She's an awesome brood doe but my buns need to be both Show and Brood animals.  Keisha's one of my exceptions due to her age(the other is Jeanie), the two blue's are not that old and can go to help another breeder.  Zoey didn't make the cut because she's a black, and while she hasn't hit the show table yet, she probably won't at all anyway, well maybe KY Cup.   
     When I chose to breed Rachel today, I actually chose to breed her to Dalton, despite they're half siblings.  Dalton's the smaller buck and I'd really like Rachel to get a good litter under her belt before I test her with a different buck.  I'm hoping to be able to pick up a pair or a full trio of outside lines.  I've already been talking to Dakotah Gould, Emily Mason and I still have to contact Kevin Hooper and Al Gerhart to see what they have for torts.  I'm hoping to see Tim Wiley at KY Cup and get one from him as well.  I've got a good solid little Tort base brood doe(the second except to my show and Brood requirements) from the Compton's.  Jeanie's a doll and EXTREMELY athletic.  I might have to start teaching some rabbit hopping, cause Jeanie would ROCK there! 
     As for the ponies, Phoenix and Heidi are not happy being back in my field from where I seeded the Roark's pasture on Sunday, but they're managing.  I hope tomorrow afternoon I can take up the old man and go out for a little ride, see if I can work my courage up to trot, maybe even Canter~I can SERIOUSLY dream!  Who knows I may feel comfortable enough with Phoenix to get a little canter and jog in.  He's been doing really good.  Myself, I've been tottering around unsure of what I'm doing.  I'm trying to figure out why my right knee, ankle and foot is getting super stiff and tight.  So I'm hoping It has something to do with my whole body in general.  I need to get control of my digestive tract and then my weight and move myself back where I need to go.  After having my sister here over the weekend it does make me wish I could just hide.  By the end of the weekend, I just hid in the barn 99% of the time, cause she's just irritating!!!  That's for another long post.  I think I've blown enough brain cells for one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment