Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Horse musing

     I know this hasn't been updated in a while, neither has my other blog.  But to any case-in-point, I brought a friends older QH mare to my place on the 31st-Honey.  She's a good girl, she will not bond over to me, part of it's I'm not letting her and I'm very willing to bet she doesn't want to.   She has some serious hock damage from being run through barb wire fence and her hind right is atrocious looking.  I'm willing to be it's mildly infected, no heat though.  Saturday I just let her settle in, she was in my pasture, Phoenix and Heidi across the road.  Sunday morning I went ahead and put her out with them, lots of running around chasing ensued- instigated by Phoenix.  So I pulled Heidi out and put her by herself to get Phoenix to understand that he needs to stay with the new girl.  He won't.  He still wouldn't let her all day Monday either. Stood there in the blasted heat and humidity sweating because he wouldn't leave where he could see Heidi.  So this morning, I didn't want Heidi to get lonely, I put her over with Honey, and took Phoenix out.  Heidi and Honey are doing well with each other, a tiny little bit of quiet squealing but the two are together, and ignoring Phoenix's cries.  A few days of this and Thursday I should be able to put Phoenix over there and not have too much in the way of problems making him accept her, cause Heidi will ditch Phoenix and go with Honey.  That's the theory. 



 
     I still am trying to figure out exactly what I was thinking when I offered to take Honey.  I mean I know that I don't intend to have any horses here over the winter.  I fully plan on bringing Heidi to Tamarack so I have access to the indoor and outdoor arena's to work in. over the winter, but what do I do about Honey if I can't find her a home?  I really don't have an answer to that.  I'm hoping by the way her hock is coming along that it should be well closed up and healed- hopefully by Halloween.  I may just contract with the guy down the road with the sub-par hay and get a few round bales saved for winter just in case and just keep Honey here.  Sheri told me she was good with Goats and cows so bottle calves in the spring shouldn't be a big deal for her.  Mentally I am not attached to her, nor do I really feel like I want to, Heidi takes up a VAST majority of my time and what little is left over I have to spread between Phoenix and the rabbits, now to add Honey to that list.
     That's the other thing I noticed very much so within myself.  I haven't spent hardly ANY time with the rabbits.  We had a long holiday weekend off from work and the biggest thing I did was dump and hose the last of the trays for the rabbits.  Dad, Allen and I never even got to the cull block  and I've got so many right now that have no names, that it's clear that they don't mean as much to me anymore.  I don't know if it's where Rachel and I just aren't talking anymore or what it is.  I find myself very distant with her and Michelle right now.  I don't have time to dwell on it, if it's meant to be, it'll stay together, if not we'll just drift apart, like I have with so many other people.  

No comments:

Post a Comment