Thursday, May 9, 2013

Random thoughts

     So for a few days worth of thought.  First pit stop was the rabbits.  I'm seriously considering getting rid of the New Zealands and the Holland Lops and keeping just the Dutch.  Dutch can be used for meat, even if it takes them longer to get bigger for eating.  The New Zealands have been a pain this spring, the buck spraying everything, I even dropped him down to the bottom cages and he, without fail, sprays me every morning.  It's getting gross.  I get rid of him, I'd either have to replace him or get rid of Juliet too.  While it's a contemplating thought, just get rid of both and use their cages for Dutch brood does part of me says don't do it.  Juliet's starting digging her feeder out, getting mad that it's empty and throwing it off the cage.  She's not an old doe, tad under 2 years  and she's not been over bred, she's still got a couple years of breeding left in her. She's a pretty doe, but also a tad small.  Well I'm still thinking about it.
     The Holland Lops, well, I'll be putting Gabriel down soon, he's not doing well even for a 7 year old he's had a good life.  Legacy will be going to New York to live with Cindy and be a brood doe for Cindy.  She's bred to Oliver who I'll be putting down with Gabriel due to his teeth. He's having issues holding weight and bits the snot out of me when I try to clip his teeth so let him go as well.  So that'll leave me Speedle and Faith, and whatever Legacy/Oliver baby I have.   A Trio.  I may or may not keep any of the Legacy/Oliver litter at all.  I may keep one or two of the best ones to bring to Cindy as well.  Give her some extra, outside bloodlines. Not sure yet.
     The Dutch, well, I've got some that are most definitely going once I get their bloodlines into the barn, and a few that I'm keeping them and a baby out of them as well.  Jeanie, Terra and Della.  Connie's litter I may or may not keep any out of .  It's a tort x black (Steel carrying) litter.  So there's no saying what color they'll throw- should throw all blacks but I'm betting a few grays will pop up-knowing my luck.  I'm hopeful for the Keisha litter that the one little gray I am watching is a doe so I can keep that one in particular, if not I'm keeping at least 1 baby out of that litter as that's the end of the Syd bloodlines that I have.
     The horses have been good, I'm watching Phoenix as the grass cannot get ahead of them, nor stay ahead.  I don't know why, it held it's ground last year with 3 of them way better than it is with the two of them.  I'm going to order some kind of garlic supplement to put Heidi on to get the bugs off and away from her.  She goes banana's with bugs and since it's coming spring/summer the bugs will be BAD and I do want to continue to ride her and work on her.  I think Phoenix is going to fully retire this time around, I might go ahead and get rid of all his stuff(riding wise) other than the saddle.  The saddle could come in use at some point with the interchangeable gullets but it'll be cleaned up really good and covered.  I don't think I'm going to ride him anymore, he's dropping condition-still- more than I'd like for him to be doing.  That has to stop and I can't help it anymore.  If it keeps going I'll be putting him down sooner rather than later.  I know the grass is helping but he needs way more than I can realistically give him.  So it's time if the grass can't support him.  I might start working him on the lunge line to try and help build up his back muscles. 
     Anyway, it's time for work, I'll keep mulling over my thoughts while I am at work, unless a certain someone keeps giving me funny butterflies when he scares me, the other crazy old man just plain startles me and I get jumpy.  I now need to UN learn that behavior.  I used to swing when I was startled, I had to learn to jump instead and now it's a source of amusement for some folks. Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment