Thursday, June 21, 2018

Long awaited update

I know it's been a while, long while.  But I have been in my own head thinking a lot and trying to make adjustments to life.  With Tessa at my aunts, getting fat on the pasture I had Heidi home and very mopey without her friend.  Even when they were in heat and nipping each other they were still partners.  So I was told if I strung the hot wire we could move Heidi over.  Some hot weekends commenced and we got the hot wire strung and my mares re-united.





I am glad the mares are happy, even if they are all taking turns coming into heat and nipping each other.  It also makes it hard to tell where all the mares are in hierarchy.  Tessa had gained up so much of her weight all from pasture.  I am unsure if I want to try and put a grazing muzzle on her or just talk to Michael next time he comes to trim and see if he or a trusted friend would like to lease her(we can work out arrangements then) Something to help her get in shape and give me time to get myself back in shape and also get them set for the fall/winter as well.  I want to start riding again and part of me wants to lease Tessa and then start Lessons on a lesson horse since Heidi's not fit to be a lesson horse. 

Willow has been doing quite well in her off leash heeling, so much that I am contemplating entering the august Rally trial in Louisville.  Part of me thinks we will make fools of ourselves and part of me says- do it!  Never know until you try.  So I will continue to work on it until I have to send the entry forms in.  That gives me almost a month right now to keep working.   My Rally signs which have the new ones in it I can start to prepare us for a Rally Advanced coarse.  I just hope we can do it! 

Rabbits- oh well that opens a new can of worms.  I've been fussing to put together cages today and stack hay in the barn and Been fighting with Mice.  Rat poison is still being eaten so I know they are still around.  I killed a mouse myself today in a bucket.  I just can't keep up with this fighting rodents.  So I am doing a full herd reduction.  I've got so many of them I am going to part with.  Intention is to keep under 10 not counting Gerdy, Natalie and Connie.  Just balancing between Dutch and English Spots will be hard. 

Then thinking about showing this fall will be tough.  I've started doing house sitting apparently, I didn't mean to start it, about like I didn't mean to really start working at Drachefeld either.  But it just happened.  Drachefeld I started while Mikey was gone and I really enjoy doing them.  I like the German Shepherds, and I have no issue with them.  It's so calm and peaceful out there.  Then Mrs. Fu approached me about staying with her dogs while she was gone to a horse show.  Mrs Fu is the main owner over Dragonsmeade farm, and Drachefeld so for me it was hard to say no.  And she said bring your puppy with you, so Willow came.  Willow had a blast running with her whippet Skye in the backyard.  I would not hesitate to do it again.  4 days no wifi except what my phone picked up.  It was the best change I have had in a long time.  I would spend my evenings with the 5 dogs (Muchacho, Skye, Maudie, Gloria and Willow) sketching and watching NCIS Los Angeles that I had on my external.  It was lovely and I did so well, I enjoyed going out and seeing all the horses there.  Granted they were Morgan's not the Quarter Horse or Paints that I love (and even a good blanket Appaloosa)..  But couldn't resist the foals!


But I feel like everything is happening for a reason.  Doing more house sitting, and working at Drachefeld is keeping me from spending a lot of time and resources on my rabbits so they are starting to phase out.  Now after house sitting for Mrs Fu, Patrick has asked me to stay a couple nights at his place with his dogs.  I have no problems doing it, and I even jumped at the opportunity to do it.  So rabbits MUST be phased out or at least down.  It will be an interesting to have a life without rabbits.  Much easier to travel and do things, but I will miss my tuxedo rabbits and my spine striped beauties.  I will keep a few of them but there has got to be less.  I have to assume that something is changing in my life and hopefully guiding me to something better.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I think, especially when it comes to animals, that if you find yourself not enjoying it as much or feeling too stressed over it, that you have to give yourself permission to back off without beating yourself up about it. Tessa & Heidi look so happy together!

    ReplyDelete